Small spaces present a challenge of balancing practical needs and aesthetics. Here are some elegant solution and tips how to make the most of a limited bathroom space.
- Increase the amount of day light;
- Increase the amount of reflected light;
- Use transparent and floating materials not to obstruct light.
Paint it white. White is often used as colour to visually unclutter, expand the space. There are few rules to remember with this colour.
- Use warm colours of wood or accessories or even vintage elements to avoid institutional veer
- Use warm whites in a limited colour paletes to avoid austere feel.
- Use textured and patterned white materials to add richness to an interior.
- Use pure whites if your bathroom has unusual architectural elements or outstanding views to emphasise its uniqueness.
Secret places. Niches, shelves and mirror cabinets, are the most common ways to address space storage needs in a small bathroom. To this I would add use of corner space, kitchen inspired storage, and creative storage details like toilet paper grid below. Pocket doors are also a great solution for small spaces.
Connect. Connect bathroom with the rest of living space through continuous use of the same colours or materials.
Water under the bridge. Small spaces mean close approximate of all elements to water. Therefore good drainage, sealants and water resistant/absorbent materials are important if you would like to save on future maintenance.
Remember, any obstacle is an opportunity for creativity to manifest itself.